State aid cases involve a lot of particularities. The cautious approach of state aid by the European Commission, the wide range of state aids that are deemed either compatible or incompatible with the EU law and the constant developments in the case law and the EU legislation, require specialized knowledge and experience, in order to achieve the desirable outcome.
Our legal services cover the entire spectrum of EU law on state aid, i.e. from the Commission’s decision to open an investigation procedure, the defense of the Member State and the undertaking involved, until the recovery of the aid.
Our firm has handled a series of state aid cases before the Court of Justice and the General Court of the European Union, with valuable experience in the field of air transports. Additionally, our law firm has represented the Hellenic Republic and private companies in state aid cases. Indicatively: Cases T-416/05, T-419/06, T-433/07, C-369/07, C-485/10, C-100/16 P.
Relevant expert legal opinions:
- Legality of the increase of the share capital of a public undertaking and exercise of public power (2018)
- Compatibility of an agreement of debt settlement in the light of EU law on state aid (2017)
- Binding nature of an agreement between undertakings in the light of EU law on state aid (2013)
- Financing of Services of General Economic Interest (SGEI) in the light of EU law on state aid (2013)
- Legality of the increase of the share capital of a public undertaking in the light of EU law on state aid (2011)
- Recovery of State Aids (2005)
Prof. Dr. V. Christianos:
- “State aid in light of the financial crisis,” European Politeia, no. 1, 2009, pp. 23-42 (translation from the original version in Greek)
- “State aid issues in the implementation of privatizations,” in To oikonomiko dikaio tin epohi tis krisis (Economic law during the financial crisis)– 1st Conference of EMEOD, Nomiki Vivliothiki, 2017, pp. 163-177 (translation from the original version in Greek)